Jan 13, 2011

DIY Earrings (on the cheap)!

I get so very tired of the long winters we have. I get tired of not just the weather, but my closet too. I don't know about you, but I can't just pick up and go shopping when the mood strikes, so sometimes I've just got to try and freshen things up another way. These earrings were the perfect solution for me. Something bold, and a little flirty, with great movement to wake up my boring winter wardrobe - these are just what I needed!


I just love how these little pretties turned out! I've had the idea for awhile but haven't gotten around to it until this morning. These were super easy to make and really quick too. And, with three little ones calling for my attention I got these done with hardly any drama!

All of the supplies I used to make these I already had in the house, so that's an extra bonus. A little bump up for my wardrobe for free? I'll take it!

I started by raiding my kids craft bin and ripping the thin cardboard backing off a pad of construction paper. They'll never know, right? I also grabbed a pencil, some craft scissors, my good old, trusty Mod Podge (love that stuff!), and a hole punch.


I drew a simple, rounded semi-tear drop shape on a piece of scrap paper and cut it out. I used that as a stencil and traced two shapes onto my cardboard backing. Then I traced the same shape onto some pretty scrapbooking paper that I had in my stash. Go ahead and cut 'em all out.


I used two different pieces of scrapbook paper for my earrings, a lovely patterned purple on the front, and a black/brown pattern on the back. Depending on what kind of earring hooks you use, it would be really simple to make these reversible.

Next, crack open your Mod Podge and brush a thin coat over your cardboard shape and cover it with one of your scrapbook paper shapes. Flip it over and do the same on the other side, sandwiching the cardboard between your pretty papers. Repeat with the second shape.

Brush a thin coat of Mod Podge over one side of your earrings, let them dry, then flip and do the same to the other side. Once the Mod Podge is dry, go ahead and punch holes through the earrings wherever you'd like your earring hooks to go.


Now you could just attach the earring hooks and call it a day, or, if you're like me and like a little more dimension, you could do a little more! I used a black stamp pad to distress the edges just a tad. I simply rubbed the edge of the earring across the stamp pad. I did this around the entire perimeter of the earring. This also helps disguise any imperfections along those edges. I played around with it, adding more until I was pleased with the look, let it dry for a couple of minutes, and added another layer of Mod Podge.

What a difference!


Once my earrings were completely dry, I added my earring hooks and tried these beauties on, I think they're great!

And that's that! I hope you enjoy your new (cheap-o) earrings as much as I'm enjoying mine!

Added bonus: these are super light! If you like big, chunky earrings, but don't like how heavy they can be on your ears, these would be a great alternative.



Thanks for coming by!






No comments: