Feb 18, 2011

Adding Some Sweetness

We recently refinished a small bedroom for our daughter, Addie.  Unintentionally, the room has taken on a bit of a girlie garden theme, but I really like it!  When you open the door to her room, there is the end wall enclosing the closet immediately to the left.  It's about two feet wide, but it's the first thing you see as you open the door so I wanted to add something to set the tone for the room.  I decided to paint a little frame I had lying around and add a sweet quote.  When I finished the frame and held it up on the wall to see how it looked, I realized it was too small for the space.  It didn't do quite what I'd had in mind.  So, knowing I had a few more frames hanging around I decided to redo a trio of frames for Addie.  
 


The first frame is the quote frame.  I found the quote here.
 Some of my favorites were:

"A girl without freckles is like a night without stars." - unknown.  
Being a freckled gal myself, that one sure struck a soft spot for me!  But, Addie doesn't 
have my freckles so it wouldn't have worked so well for her. 

Little girls, like butterflies, need no excuse. -Robert A. Heinlein, 

Girls are giggles with freckles all over them -unknown

My name is NO NO but Grandma calls me precious - unknown

Like star dust glistening on fairies' wings
little girls dreams are of magical things.
-Sherry Larson

Oh, there are so many great quotes that capture just a hint of the wonderful mischievousness that is my daughter!  But, sticking with our garden theme I went with, "There is a garden in her eyes, where roses and white lilies flow." - Thomas Campion


 I wrote out the quote I liked in pencil on my scrapbook background and then went over it with a fine felt tipped pen.  Be sure to give your pen a few minutes to dry really well, then gently go over the quote with a good quality eraser to remove any pencil markings that are still showing. 


I made three little crepe paper flowers following this tutorial over at House of Smiths.  
The whole thing was super simple, and I think the concept is great...but it was 
just too small.  
 
 
In comes frame #2.  A lovely little thrift store number that I revived with a coat of white paint.  I admit to you right here, right now, this is my favorite of the three frames.  It turned out better than I imagined, and it is so dang cute!  I used some simple, spring green scrapbook paper cut to size for the background.  Then, using different colours and patterns of paper, I sketched and cut out different mini clothes, hung them on a mini clothes line using mini clothes pins, and that was it.  


So simple but the finished product adds so much to the overall look.

And lastly, frame #3.  Another 10 cent find from the thrift store, made over with a splash of paint.  Again, using some pretty scrapbooking paper cut to size for the background.  I cut out three hearts from a contrasting scrapbook paper and lined them up where I wanted to place them.  After looking it over, I thought it looked a little blah, so I drew out a silhouette of a little bird on some punchy blue scrapbook paper, cut it out, added a contrasting wing accent and glued it in place.  


Sorry I didn't do step-by-step pictures for frames 2 and 3, I did number two late last night and number three early this morning, so no natural light for pictures.  Plus, they're so simple, they hardly call for step-by-step instructions.  

 I just noticed I forgot to put the little pleated skirt back on the "clothes line" before I took this picture! 
I took it off to re-glue an edge that was lifting a little...oh well!  It's back where it belongs now, you'll just have to trust me that it looks great!
I think these three little frames add so much whimsy and sweetness to Addie's room, and all the supplies I had in my craft closet right here at home.  Gotta love a free project!


*Edit* Just wanted to let y'all know that I linked this tutorial up to Tea Rose Home here and to WhipperBerry here.
 

9 comments:

melissa said...

I LOVE this Jen, you can take simple things and make them unique

Jen said...

Thanks Melissa! I had so much fun making these!

Sachiko said...

They are very cute! Thank you for sharing them at my link party!

Jen said...

Thanks for coming by Sachiko! I love checking out your blog, you've got such great style!

Amanda said...

oh i really like that! sometimes i see all those amazing hand made cards and sort of feel bad because i mean most people just throw them out after but if you do something like what you did, same craft idea but in a frame...well that's just genius!

Jen said...

Thanks Amanda! Yes, this one is super versatile, you could use old cards, even magazine clippings to get the same effect with a different flair. Glad you like it!

Emily {WhipperBerry} said...

Very cute! Thanks for linking up!

Jessica said...

These are too cute! Makes me want to tackle my girls rooms ASAP!

Jen said...

Thanks Jessica! And, welcome here!