Feb 4, 2011

Crib Mattress Pad

I've got a real quickie to post today. Seriously, it took me ten minutes!

I like to have a little layer of something between our vinyl covered crib mattress and the crib sheet. A little extra air circulation to keep my babies from waking up all sweaty and clammy.

I've often just laid a towel over the mattress and then put the fitted sheet over top, but the problem with that is that it is super tricky to get the towel to stay put while working the crib sheet on, and sometimes it shifts around while the baby is doing gymnastics in the crib.

I once bought a crib mattress pad, but after one
wash it was torn to pieces so back to towels I went.
I figured there had to be an easy solution to this problem, and boy was I right!

Four pieces of elastic,
one bath towel,
a little thread and bam!
You've got a crib mattress pad!

Start by cutting four pieces of elastic, measuring 6.5" each.
I wanted to use nice, wide elastic,
but I just didn't have enough, so I used what I had.
Use wider elastic if you can, I think it will hold tighter
and be easier to work with.

Starting at one corner of your towel, measure 6 inches out, fold the end
of the elastic under about 1/4" and pin your elastic in place.


Use a zig-zag stitch and secure it well. I went over each of my seams quite a number of times to ensure strength and durability.

Take the other end of your elastic and sew it 6" down the other side of the same corner. Repeat this with the other three corners and you're done!

How easy is that?!

Lay the towel over your crib mattress, slip the elastic behind each corner of the mattress and your little one will be all set for a comfy night of rest.






2 comments:

Stacey said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog Jen :) I had no idea you had a blog! This looks like a great idea for a crib mattress. I need to figure out something for Bria's toddler bed. The mattress is not waterproof, just cloth, and it's not a standard size crib mattress either. It's a German crib/toddler bed.

Jen said...

You're very welcome Stacey! As you can see, I've only just started here, but so far I'm really enjoying myself! It's really nice to have something to work on for myself. Waterproofing a mattress could be tricky. I've bought soaker pads at Walmart to put over the kids mattresses once they transition out of the crib stage. I'm sure there's a way to make your own, though I doubt it would be cheaper. If I see any good ideas I'll pass them on to you.