Feb 2, 2011

A Fun Morning

I love my kids.
They're not perfect, but they sure are a lot of fun!
We're getting a little stir-crazy around here. Spring cannot come soon enough!

So this morning when the kids saw I had a big batch of bread dough ready to
be shaped, they really wanted to get in on the action. I thought, why not?
I had them quickly put away their Mega Blocks and
wash their hands while I wiped off the table.

I sprinkled the table with a little bit of flour, gave them each a small lump of
dough and a rolling pin and let them each form their own mini-loaf of bread.

Goodness those little knuckle-dimples are just edible!

They were thrilled! Sometimes I forget that the mess doesn't matter,
it's worth their giggles and smiles and the great memories.

After giving them a few quick pointers on how to shape a loaf of bread,
they both tried their best and had so much fun playing with the dough.

Everybody's a comedian! Believe it or not, this was the best picture in the bunch.

What a treat for them to eat a slice of bread that they helped to make!


So, go on and give it a try!

If you're interested, here's a link to my favorite bun recipe.
I usually add some whole wheat flour and flax seeds to the mix
instead of using only all-purpose flour.


5 comments:

Renee said...

Love this post Jen! Thanks for sharing and for the little reminder that messes are oh so worth it!! Addie's hands are just TOO CUTE and her little expression in the last picture makes me smile! She clearly loves her brother, and thinks it's quite fun how excited he is about their little loaves! :)

Jen said...

Awww, thanks Renee! I need to remember these moments more often, these days will be gone before we know it!

Brian and Melissa Degelder said...

LOVE IT! This is totally one thing I remember from growing up... My Mom would always give us a piece of bread dough to work with! Such great memories... I can't wait till I can do this with my kids!!! :)

Stacey said...

Bria loves to make teeny tiny little buns whenever I make bread :) Like marble sized! It's kind of funny, but she sure has fun.

Jen said...

Doing this with the kids turned out to be a highlight in my week. What fun it is to watch them experiment and learn by doing. Definitely something I need to remember more often!