Feb 27, 2011

Missing Summer

I've been looking around online for some spring/summer decor inspiration.
I'm not sure that was a great idea, 'cause I'm missing the warm weather more than ever now.

The top 5 things I miss about spring/summer are:
1. The colour!  I miss all the beautiful colours of the leaves and flowers, the vibrant shades and hues that turn to muted greys and browns in the winter months.  


2.  The ease of going out.  I miss being able to toss the kids in the bike trailer and bike over to a park, or for ice cream, or to visit my parents, or, or, or...  
3.  The backyard.  I miss spending the day working in the garden, mowing the lawn, 
playing in the yard with the kids, this whole business of spending day after day 
indoors is depressing!
4. Spontaneity.  I miss being able to say, "Hey, let's go to the beach!"or,
"Let's have a picnic for supper!"   I've got to plan ahead for everything these days.
5.  The warmth.  I don't love super hot weather, but I can't say I love the cold either...The windchill factor here seems just cruel, -45 Celsius the other day...really?

And now, because it's just the type of person I am, and because I don't want to discourage myself or anyone else...

The top 5 things I like about winter:
1.  Living with such extreme winters makes me SO thankful for the spring/summer months
2.  Big, fluffy, beautiful snowflakes.  There is little in life that is as breathtaking as the loveliness of freshly fallen snow.
3.  Hoar frost.  Hoar frost is devastatingly beautiful...if you haven't had the chance to see it in real life, you're missing out.
 

4.  The chance to watch the transformation from death to life...to watch my surroundings change from white and cold to green and warm is astounding.
5.  Snow days.  I'm not in school anymore, and my kids aren't in school yet, but the feeling of being snowed in and you just can't go anywhere is so fun sometimes.  It forces you to take a day off from running about and the hustle and bustle that winter can sometimes be.  Hibernating for a day or two is sometimes a wonderful, wintry gift. 

How about you, what is something you're looking forward to come spring/summer?  What's your favorite part of winter?
I hope you're all looking forward to watching spring come into bloom, but also that you're thankful for each day.  Let's not sit and wait for summer to come before making memories with our children or doing something meaningful.  Blessings to each of you!

 As always, I appreciate your visit!


No comments: