Mar 26, 2011

Anthro-Inspired Braided Pearl Necklace

Using a bunch of supplies that I've had in my craft arsenal for quite some time and a little Anthropologie inspiration, I came up with a great necklace to add to your spring/summer wardrobe.  

 It is so much fun perusing different websites for inspiration.  Anthropologie is a great site to hit for drool-worthy jewelry and fashion  designs.  After finding a forgotten drawer of beads, shells, ribbons, and pearls I knew I needed to expand my jewelry collection. Yes, needed.  Ha!




I played around with a few different looks before I settled on a simple ribbon and pearl braided necklace, fastened with a sheer ribbon bow.  It has a classic feminine vibe that I just love to wear, it makes me feel like such a lady!

Start by loosely stringing faux pearls onto a 1/4" wide sheer ribbon.  It helps to cut the ribbon at quite an angles so you can get a little tip through one of the pearl beads.  Also, be sure to leave a tail of ribbon to work with, 4 or 5" would be enough.


After about 8-9 inches of pearls, string the ribbon through a circular shell bead.  I bought these a few years ago at wal-mart, I'm sure there are plenty of different bead styles that would work great for this project.  After you've strung your ribbon through the shell, continue with the pearls for an equal length.  



Cut three equal lengths of the sheer ribbon, about 16-18 inches long.  Braid these ribbons together.  Attach one end of the braid to one of the circular shell beads.  Braid the two strands of pearls together with the braided ribbon, then pull the beaded ribbons through the second shell bead and secure.  Attach the braided ribbon in the same way you did to the first side.


String a long ribbon through the second hole on each the shell bead, these will be used to tie the necklace on when you're finished.  You can use a little dot of hot glue to add a little extra security to the knots you've tied.  Using a match, lighter, or candle, carefully singe the ends of the cut ribbons, melting each end just enough to keep it from fraying.


And with that, you've got a lovely, feminine, summery necklace that will add a breath of fresh air to your spring/summer wardrobe.  Enjoy!

Be blessed,


 I'll be linking this project up to:

Whipperberry
Be Different...Act Normal
Petite Hermine
 Made with Love Monday
  Tutorials & Tips Tuesdays
Tea Rose Home



11 comments:

Marilyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marilyn said...

Lovley Jen. I want one.. :)) Heehee.. Gotta make one soon.. Thanks for the inspiration.. :))

c.w.frosting said...

Very pretty! Heart a good anthro knockoff creation. Have you heard about Anthro Necklace week? Great inspiration here:
http://www.flamingotoes.com/

Thanks for visiting my site. I'm following now!

xo
caroline

{esther} said...

What beautiful work, just lovely!

I wanted to pop in and return the favor and say hello back. :0) Thanks for visiting my little corner of the web.

{Just a thought..} you are more then welcome to link up and share anything related to homemaking... {crafts do fit into that category!} EVERY Tuesday at my place for "Simply Homemaking." Do hope you join me & other fantastic homemakers!

Much Love & Blessings,
ESTHER
Our Simple Country Life

Jen said...

Marilyn, I hope you make one! If you do be sure to share some pics, I'd love to see your version!

Caroline, thank you! I didn't realize there's an Anthro week going on, I'll have to check it out.

Esther, I'm so glad you came by! I'd love to come share some of my creations on your blog, I'll be there on Tuesday!

Shabby Soul said...

Your necklace is so feminine....I love it! The lacy ribbon with the pearls is perfect!

Ramona said...

love this, Jen! Jayd and I are wanting to get beading again and this may inspire her this evening!
Ramona

Jen said...

Shabby Soul - Thank you so much, and welcome here!

Ramona - Thanks! I hope Jaydi is inspired! Be sure to show off what you make, I'd love to see it!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

What a great looking necklace and very Anthro-chic! Thanks for linking up!

Tanya said...

That is so pretty. I bookmarked this for making later.

Renee said...

That is absolutely GORGEOUS Jen. So feminine. So simple. So able to dress up any outfit. Wow!