Mar 24, 2011

Chai Iced Tea

Yesterday evening I had one of my closest friends over to celebrate her birthday.  We had the most wonderful time chatting, laughing, and of course, eating a delicious spread of tea party themed treats.

The menu consisted of mini croissant cucumber sandwiches, lemon scones with Devonshire cream, and fresh fruit.  Yum.  I tried something new to serve as a drink, Chai iced tea, and it was a-m-a-z-i-n-g!

This recipe makes a relatively small batch, enough or two or three ladies, but if you're thinking of making this for a larger group definitely double or triple the recipe.


You will need:
4 cups milk
4 Chai tea bags
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Ice
Cinnamon to garnish
  
Start with four cups of milk, I used 2% but you could easily do this with skim to cut the fat a little bit.  Pour the milk into a sauce pan and add the four bags of chai tea and 2 tablespoons of sugar. 



Bring the milk to a boil, stirring constantly.  Remove the milk mixture from heat, add the vanilla and set it aside for 3-4 minutes to get the maximum flavor from the tea bags.  Strain the liquid into a container to cool.  Straining removes the tea bags and also the skin that forms when milk boils.  Cover and set it in the fridge to cool for at least a couple of hours.  If you plan on making this a day ahead of time be sure to strain the mixture a second time to remove any skin that may have formed overnight.

When you're ready to serve, pour the tea over crushed or whole ice and sprinkle with cinnamon.  This is a delicious and simple summer time treat that I will definitely be making for special occasions.


I hope you enjoy this special treat as much as I did!  

Be blessed,

I'll be linking this post up to Comfy in the Kitchen's Feasting in Fellowship Fridays

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

YuMmY :)))

{esther} said...

Hello, just popping in from over at "Comfy in the Kitchen" What a delicious sounding recipe...I LOVE anything and everything to do with Chai. Thanks for sharing!

Much Love & Blessings,
ESTHER
Our Simple Country Life

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

This looks like a great refreshing summer drink - I have never had Chai tea, so I might have to try and hunt some down.
Caroline xxx

Jen said...

Hey Caroline! Thanks for coming by! I don't usually care for chai tea, at least not in its 'hot' version. This has the wonderful aroma and spice of chai without the aftertaste and somewhat blandness that I usually find when I've tried chai. I hope you'll give this recipe a try!

Kim @ It's a Crafty Life said...

Sounds yummy!

Renee said...

THANKS AGAIN for SUCH a wonderful evening Jen. I still do a *happy sigh* when I think of it! You went above and beyond to make me feel extra special!
The chai was SO GOOD (as were the scones, and the cucumber sandwiches, and the... well EVERYTHING!) You even remembered my love of lemon scones! Wow!
You are a treasure indeed, girl. Thank you!