Mar 4, 2011

Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I really enjoy baking.
Unfortunately, the direct result of baking is that there are sweets and treats in the house, calling me, taunting me.  So I haven't been doing a whole lot of baking over the past few months.  However, this cold snap we're dealing with has got my gang all down in the dumps, so cookies are just what the doctor ordered.  Either that or vitamin D, and since cookies are drastically cheaper than booking flights to Mexico, cookies it shall be.

To make these cookies you'll need:
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup raisins
Cinnamon


 Cream the butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl.


Add the flour, oatmeal, salt, baking soda, and a dash of cinnamon.  Mix it well.

Stir in one cup of raisins, or other dried fruit like craisins or dried cherries.


Scoop by the heaping teaspoon full onto ungreased baking sheets.  I over crowded by baking sheets and some of the cookies ended up baking into each other, but they're still tasty! 


Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  They look puffy when they come out of the oven, but if you let these cookies rest on their baking sheet for 2 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack they get nice and crispy around the edge and stay soft and chewy in the center, just how we like 'em!

I gotta say, this one just cracks me up every time I look at it!
 
And finally, tempt your children with a stack of these gorgeous cookies and a glass of ice cold milk...they'll do anything you want with these cookies for an incentive!

7 comments:

Ayne said...

I just discovered your blog, so cool! I'm pumped your doing this, your such a creative mama!
Keep the posts coming, I love your ideas and can't wait to try some of them out : )

Jen said...

Thanks Ayne! Glad you stopped by to check things out!

Marilyn said...

lol at the end "tempt your kids" heehee!! Too funny!! I really have to try this recipe vs my "all the above in a bag" lol. Thanks for sharing - I love reading your blog ;)))

Melissa said...

haha i loveee that photo of your kiddos! im going to try this rec. out this weekend!

Jen said...

Thanks Marilyn and Melissa! I like to pretend this is a healthy recipe because of the raisins included...hope you enjoy this "healthy snack" as much as we do!

angelfitch said...

I love this photo!! So cute! Thanks for checking out my little blog! I love yours and will be following you with interest!
Cheers!
~Terry
http://www.mossandclover.blogspot.com/

Jen said...

Thanks Terry! And welcome here!