Mar 14, 2011

*Make A Mess Monday* Starving for Spring Picnic

We're baaack!  After a not-so-restful break from the everyday grind, we're back in town and getting back into the swing of things.  A word to the wise - three kids and two adults in one hotel room doesn't work well.  I think it would have been fine, but my youngest little guy, 7 month old Judson, is teething something fierce.  The poor guy was up nearly all Friday night, burning a nasty fever and wanting to be close to Momma.  I did, however, really enjoy the break from cooking and cleaning, it was so nice to just be able to focus on having fun with the kids.  We did plenty of swimming, lounging, snacking, and visiting.  That part was marvelous!

Thanks so much for being patient with me last week.  I tried so hard to complete something I was working on before we left, but things didn't go as planned and I had to postpone the tutorial until I got it all figured out.  No worries though, I'll be posting it later this week. 

In the mean time, how's spring looking where you're at?  It's looking pretty dismal here.  Over the weekend we got another snowstorm...temperatures plunged yet again, winds whipped about, snow flew, drifts formed, hopes of an early spring dwindled.  So for this week's Make A Mess Monday, we decided to have a little picnic.  And we pulled out all the stops!

We got started by getting dressed for the occasion.  Addie dawned her summeriest sun dress, Bo dug out his fave shorts, and I got Jud dressed in a cute little summertime romper.

It seems that as soon as I pull out the camera lately, this is the smile I get from Addie.  I'm not sure what's gotten into her, hopefully she figures out how to smile nicely again soon!
 
Then we headed off to the kitchen to make a few picnic staples.  Fresh sliced fruit and veggies (we'll pretend they're from the garden), good old peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and some fun treats were packed up in our picnic basket.


Then we went for a walk, you know, 'cause every good picnic takes a bit of a walk to get to.  We spotted all kinds of different birds and butterflies, beautiful flowers were blooming, and the fresh green grass felt just delightful on our bare toes.  

Once we reached the perfect picnic destination, Bo and Addie spread out our picnic blanket and we settled in for our sunny lunch.  The weather was just perfect for a picnic, the sun was shining, hardly any breeze, and would you believe there wasn't one bug that came pestering us?!?  Well, not any insect type of bugs anyway, one little boy named Judson kept trying to steal the picnic basket away...which explains the lack of great pics, my hands were pretty busy trying to keep his little fingers out of the peanut butter!

I know it doesn't look like it, but Bo really was having a great time.  He loved the idea of a picnic with all our summer gear on...I must have caught him between smiles!
 

We had such a fun time on our pretend picnic, it was almost as good as being outside for real.  So tell me, what are you going to pack in your picnic basket?

Thanks for popping in for Make A Mess Monday!

P.S.  Here's a progress pic of the kids' spring planters from last week...wow these things grew fast!

 


4 comments:

Marilyn said...

How awesome - the grass is growing SO fast.. LOVE the picnic idea.. 6days to spring.. Woohoo.. ;)))

Jen said...

Yes, spring is coming! Today we had temperatures ABOVE zero (celcius)! It's supposed to be mild all week long...could this be!?!?! Hope you're having a wonderful day Miss Marilyn, I always enjoy your comments and encouragement!

Amanda said...

wow, did they every grow fast! one week...i wish my plants grew that much in one week! the picnic inside, great idea! i'm going to do that as a date thing for me and marshall...as long as i can get ollie to stay out of the food!

Jen said...

The grass surprised me, I wasn't sure I could get it to grow...I'm just trying out my green thumb! This would be a totally fun, economical, and romantic date night! Chocolate dipped strawberries anyone?