Mar 21, 2011

*Make A Mess Monday* Wax Paper Sun Catchers

Oh boy.  I need to take a deep breath.  I'll be honest with you, today's craft raised my blood pressure a little bit.  Not because it's hard, just my kids were a little on the crazy side this morning and things got a lot messier than I thought they would.  This is definitely not a craft to try on freshly washed floors!  But, all that said, the kids really really liked making this springy garland, and I really like how it looks. 

I got the idea here, on www.MarthaStewart.com
Aren't their Valentine's Day hearts just lovely?  Let's just say mine didn't turn out quite as picturesque...

I think the biggest problem was that I didn't use crayon shavings, I just broke a bunch of crayons and ironed them that way.  I tried to make shavings with our pencil sharpener, but it just wasn't working and I got impatient.  Anyway, I'll just suck it up and show you how it went...please don't judge!


We started with a container of broken, worn down, used up crayons.  I'm not the only one with a container like this, right?


We separated the colors and got busy peeling all the paper off the crayons.  


Then I laid out some newspaper on my ironing board, do not skip this step!  Take a long piece of wax paper and fold it in half.  Open up the folded wax paper.  Sprinkle crayon shavings over half of the wax paper.  I used small pieces of broken crayon and it worked, but shavings would definitely work better and give you a better end product.  Use shavings if you can!  Fold the wax paper over the crayons and seal them in by folding the open edges of the wax paper over.  Lay another piece of newspaper on top of the wax paper and run a hot iron over top.  Gently move your iron around until all the crayons are melted.


 Allow the melted crayons to cool, then trace and cut shapes out of your sun catcher paper. 


We cut spring shapes like flowers, hearts and butterflies.  Boden also wanted to cut out circles, triangles and squares, so that's just what he did!


Watching my daughter with a pair of scissors gives me palpitations.  Seriously, that girl freaks me out!  I usually sit with her and try to help her out and slow her down.   

I then took a long strand of craft twine and hung it up, then hung each shape with a piece of tape.  I thought of using my hole punch, but wasn't sure if it would cut through the wax and crayon properly...plus I couldn't find it, so tape it was for me!

 

And that's that!  I love the burst of color this spring garland gives to our living room window.
I hope you have a lot of fun making a mess with your munchkins today!  

Be blessed,



7 comments:

Marilyn said...

"Watching my daughter with a pair of scissors gives me palpitations" - LOL, Looking at the picture, I thought so per my lil one before even reading your sentence..lolol! This is such a cool project. I LOVE the idea and really hope to be able to incorporate it sometime into an artsy fun make a mess day around my home :)) So creative..;))

two birds said...

i love this idea. i will be doing it with my children. what better way of getting rid of the millions of broken crayons we have!

Jen said...

So glad you ladies like the idea! Marilyn, palpitations might even be an understatement...gracious! Thanks!

Brian and Melissa Degelder said...

super cute! I remember doing something like this with my Mom growing up... SO MUCH FUN!!

Fabulously Flawed said...

I love making these! I've made the mistake of turning the iron up too high and melting the wax paper and getting melted crayon everywhere!

Jen said...

My kids really loved doing this project too, Addie's already asking if we can do it again.

@Fabulously Flawed: OH NO!! What an awful mess to clean up! Note to self: don't let the iron get too hot!!

J A C Q U E L I N E said...

Wow! I bet the kids had a great time! That does seem like a lot of work. Great job