Apr 27, 2011

Children's Flip Flop Strap

Last May I was wandering around Blogland, looking at a few of my favorite blogs when I saw the most genius idea over on Delia Creates.  (If you haven't ever visited Delia Creates you are missing out, big time!  Her effortless style and classic beauty make for a gorgeous blog to savor!)   Delia added a simple strap to the backs of her boys' flip flops using a simple elastic headband.


Isn't this the smartest thing ever?!  Check out her tutorial here.

Yesterday I bought a pair of adorable flip flops for Addie, but when I had her try them on at home, she ended up walking like a little old man.  As cute as her bent over stiff-step walk was, I knew she'd never wear her flip flops for more than a few minutes before kicking them off so she could run like the energetic and spirited 2.5 year old that she is.  Following Delia's simple and straight forward tutorial I came up with these:


I started by finding a headband that was rarely worn and cut it into two equal pieces.  As soon as I cut the headband, I singed the ends to keep them from fraying.


Then I simply hand-stitched the elastic headband around the straps of the flip flops.  Seriously, this took less than 10 minutes.


Here's a closer look at the heel strap


The result?  A little girl who can run and play in flip flops without them flying off or hindering the way she walks.  Addie is thrilled!

Look!  She's getting better at not making the weird-fake-smile-face as soon as I pull the camera out!

Thanks for the fantastic idea, Delia!

Be blessed,






10 comments:

Marilyn said...

Jen - your lil pea is sooo adorable.. This is super cool and cute..

h. rae said...

That's a great idea! And your little sweetie is a doll!

Manni said...

omg! your little girls is too precious :)
What an amazing idea, love this!!
hugs
Manni

Lesley said...

Ooooh, your babe is way too cute!
Great idea!

Jen said...

Thanks ladies, my Little Miss is pretty fantastic!

Jaime @ Stitch2buttercups said...

Jen, thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I love this idea. My babygirl is 3, and the flip-flops don't stay on for more than a few minutes. Your Little Miss is precious!

Erin Shakespear said...

AWESOME idea! LOVE it!

Laura@Corner House said...

Smart. I have always hated the way flip flops only have be backs on them in baby sizes.

Kids Flip Flops said...

Some of the Flip flops for kids are not well made for them. You need to be more creative in adding flip flops strap. Make sure that the strap is soft like cotton that can give no harm to the kids when they wear it and start walking.

Jen said...

I haven't run into any problems with Addie's flip flops or the straps I added to them. The flip flops actually stay on her feet now and she can run and play without them slipping around or tripping her up. Thanks for the heads up though!