Apr 20, 2011

Corkscrew Curled Ribbon

Did you know that with a few simple around-the-house things and a little bit of heat, you can take plain old ribbon and turn it into sweet little corkscrew curls?  I didn't know either until I stumbled upon The Ribbon Retreat's free projects page.  Oh the fun that could be had here!  They've got a whole bunch of great tutorials for making adorable hair bows of all shapes and sizes.


It's super easy, and oh-so-fun, perfect for hair clips, decorating gifts, or adding a bow to something special.  It's an extra thoughtful touch to a simple thank you note that's sure to make anyone smile!    

All you'll need is a few 1/4" wooden dowels, clothes pins, and ribbon!


 First off, set your oven to 275 degrees F.


 Using a clothes pin, pin the end of your ribbon to a wooden dowel and begin to wrap the ribbon around the dowel tightly.  Once the dowel is entirely wrapped in ribbon, trim the ribbon and pin it in place.


Next, lay you dowels wrapped in ribbon on a clean baking sheet and pop the pan in your preheated oven for about 25 minutes.  Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool completely.


Once cooled, unwrap the wooden dowels, and feel free to grin at the lovely corkscrew ribbons you just made!


 I was amazed at how wonderfully curly my ribbons came out, and amazed that the curl has stayed!  I kid-tested these, and even with pulling, playing, stretching and scrunching the curls stayed perfect!

 You can use pretty much any polyester ribbon for this, though I'd avoid ribbon with wire in it and I'm not sure how the metallic ribbon would work.  I tried a few different widths, 1/4", 3/8", and 7/8".  The 7/8" ribbon didn't work out great, it was really difficult to get it to lay flat as I was rolling it onto the dowel.


Every time I look at these curled up ribbons it makes me smile, there is just something so cheerful about them!

Be blessed,








3 comments:

angelfitch said...

Sweetie, you just made my day! So happy to know this!! :o)
~Terry

Jen said...

Well I am happy to share Miss Terry!

Jill said...

I've always filed this away in my 'Gonna learn how to do this someday' memory bank...and now I know how! Your ribbon is beautiful... Thanks for sharing!
~ Jill