Apr 8, 2011

Refinishing Wooden Candlesticks

Wow, it's Friday already!  This week has flown by for me and my little posse of troublemakers.  We've done a bunch of spring cleaning this week.  We tackled the bank of drawers in my kitchen, emptying, cleaning, purging, and organizing each drawer.  I also cleaned and organized my laundry room from top to bottom, it sure is great to get those tasks checked off my list!  And, to top it all off, it's starting to feel like spring here!  The sun is shining, the snow is melting, I've even seen some of our beloved Canadian Geese in their lovely "V" formation signaling us Canadians that it's true, spring really has sprung.  Ahhhhh, does that ever feel nice!


 A little project I've had up my sleeve for a couple of weeks has been these lovely refinished wooden candlesticks.  I found these beauties at the thrift store a few weeks ago and it was darn close to love at first sight.  I'm not sure what kind of wood they are, but they are solid and heavy!  One thing I was not wild about was the strange patch of lighter wood they each had...weirdness.  But, for a whopping .30 each, I happily plopped them into my cart and carried on.  


I started out my refinishing project by lightly sanding these candlesticks.  Then I sprayed on a light coat of white paint, but wasn't thrilled with the way the paint was adhering to the candlesticks.  So, I let them dry then brushed on a coat of white craft paint.  The craft paint was thicker than the spray paint and stuck to the candlesticks much better, providing better coverage.


Then I dry-brushed on a hint of coffee bean brown craft paint.  Dry brushing is a great way to add an aged and distressed look to home decor.  To dry brush start with a little bit of paint on the tip of your brush, then on some scrap paper brush most of it off, you want very little wet paint on the bristles of your brush.  Then with a gentle hand, feather the brush over your project, stopping when you've achieved the look you're going for.


I set my candlesticks aside and let them dry.  Then roughed them up a little further with some coarse sand paper.  I wiped the excess dust off with a clean rag and gave my candlesticks a quick once-over with a satin finish clear spray.  


For 60 cents and a tiny bit of elbow grease, I now have some really great looking candlesticks that I adore!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Be blessed,


13 comments:

h. rae said...

They look so good! I love distressed decor! And your tips on getting it that way are great!

Erin said...

I love finding a deal and turning it into something just perfect for my house. It's a skill I'm still developing. Good job!

Chels said...

Really Pretty, I adore them too.

Jen said...

Thanks to each of you!

Jenn said...

These are gorgeous! People like you AMAZE me! I wish I knew how to do stuff like this.

Alicia @ littlesprinklesoffun said...

I have been seeing these awesome wooden candle sticks all over blogland! I need to find me some to redo!!! :)

Elizabeth said...

Wow I love this technique - thanks so much for sharing, they turned out great! That brown patch was definitely weird! haha. They look fabulous :)

Jen said...

Thank you Jenn, Alicia & Elizabeth! I much prefer the after, that brown patch was a no-go!

Lindsey @ Inspiring Creations said...

Love how those turned out! Thanks for sharing!

Would love for you to join my linky party! :) http://www.inspiringcreationsblog.com/2011/04/friday-favorites-linky-party_14.html

MaryBerry Boutique said...

I LOVE these! i have been on the hunt for candle sticks for months! I cant ever find any i like. I LOVE how you remade them so beautiful:)
Mary

Jen said...

Thank you Mary! That's the blessing and the curse of thrift shopping...sometimes the perfect thing is just waiting for you, and sometimes you have to search for months!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

gorg!! i really need to try out this roughing it up technique. always turns out super cute looking

Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday! Hope to see ya again later this week :)

laura Bednarski said...

Hi I can't stop crafting either when I'm not blogging.
Love this one. I bought a wooden candlestick holder and wanted to go white. This is just what I was looking for.