May 16, 2011

A Different Kind of Taco Salad

Over the weekend my Mom hosted a fabulous bridal shower for my cousin and his fiancĂ©e who are getting married next month.  It was so nice to see family that I don't get to see just any old time, and we had a really great time showering the young bride.  Instead of serving a full blown meal my Mom opted to go with a buffet of salads.  She made a delicious chicken caesar salad, my sister-in-law brought an amazing layered fruit salad, and I brought a taco salad.  

The taco salad I brought is not your typical taco salad, hence the title of this post.  However, this is hands down one of my favorite salads to enjoy, it's got a really great flavor, is a nice accompaniment to a spring/summer meal, and it's simple to prepare.  I got this quirky recipe from my church cookbook.  You know, one of those cookbooks compiled of everyones favorite recipes?  

To make this salad you'll need:

1 red onion
1 green pepper
2 tomatoes
1-2 cups of cheddar cheese, cubed
1 can kidney beans, rinsed
1 bag barbecue or plain corn chips
1 cup Catalina dressing

Cut the red onion, green pepper, tomatoes, and cheese into small cubes and toss 'em in a bowl.  Open and rinse your kidney beans  .Drain them thoroughly and add to the mix of veggies.  About 5 minutes before you're ready to serve add the corn chips and dressing and toss it all together.  This twist on a taco salad is also super versatile.  You can mix and match different cheeses, peppers, onions and beans to diversify the flavor and make it easy on yourself if you don't have these exact ingredients in your cupboards.  



Serve and watch your guests devour this deliciously savory salad.

Simple as can be!

Be blessed,



Oops!  I almost forgot!  I'll be linking this recipe up to:

Comfy in the Kitchen

5 comments:

Dirt On The Rocks said...

this looks absolutely delicious and reading it looks super easy to put together. :) lovee it. def. good for mommies on the go

Brian and Melissa Degelder said...

This is one of my favorites too!!! It's SO yummy!!!

Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

This look wonderful! Thanks for linking up to savory sunday!

If you are interested in doing a guest post some time I would LOVE to have you!! Let me know :)

Candace said...

Isn't Catalina dressing awesome in a taco salad? To me, it's the one ingredient that just "makes" it. It's been years since I've had that. Thank you for the reminder! I've never tried it without meat but I can see that it works nicely that way. I will give that a try. Thank you for stopping by my blog today and introducing me to yours! I'm going to be following along with you. Have a wonderful weekend, Candace

Jen said...

Candace, you're right, Catalina dressing is what makes this salad sing!