May 18, 2011

Family Name Plaque

One thing I've always wanted is one of those gorgeous family name plaques.  You know, the type with your last name and perhaps the date or year you were married.  I just love 'em.  

The only problem is that we just don't have a cool last name.  It's not elegant like Dashwood or Hollingsworth.  It's not generic like Smith or Jones.  The truth is...it's the type of last name that a kid would get teased for in school.  It's a tad...er...embarrassing.  Please don't misunderstand, I'm not in any way embarrassed to be a part of this family, and I certainly wouldn't ever choose to have married a different man.  Anyway, I've put off making a family name plaque because of the whole last name situation.  Instead of completely tossing out this lovely idea to have a family name plaque, I decided to altar it just a little bit to get the best of both worlds.  

This is what I came up with:
Sorry for the crummy picture, my natural light was all gone and I really wanted to finish the project off for the day!

I really like it!  It's simple and straight forward and still embodies the personal touch I like so much about family name plaques.  

To create my little family initial plaque, I whipped up this image using Picnik.com


 I printed out a few test runs, then once I had the initial and date just the way I wanted it, I printed it out on some pretty cardstock I had on hand. 

If you're curious about how to navigate Picnik to create something like this, Cheri over at I Am Momma, Hear Me Roar made this super tutorial that shows you the basics to Picnik printables.

 I trimmed my printout down to size, placed it in my frame and voila, a quick personal project completed!

I whipped up this baby in just a few minutes to complement a different project I've been working on that I hope to show you later this week.  Be sure you stay tuned for part two!

Be blessed,




1 comment:

h. rae said...

I'm glad you found a good alternative to your whole name... but now you've made me curious as to what your last name might be. But I won't ask! I understand some names are less distinguished than others; perhaps more fun though, no? :) Makes you more creative!

Hope you're having a great day, Jen!