May 11, 2011

Simple Gift Wrap Ideas

April showers bring May flowers, 
and with winter engagement rings come lovely weddings in the spring...and summer.
With wedding season bearing down upon us, I thought it would be fun to show a few simple gift wrap ideas, using things I had around the house to spruce up a basic package.  I have a bit of a crush with plain old brown craft paper.  

It's so versatile, and economical, and I like how heavy it is compared to many other gift wraps.  

Anyway, I decided to wrap up a box with plain craft paper, and doll it up using a few around the house items to make it look special and pretty.  

Box #1:

For box #1 I took some green plaid wrapping paper and cut a strip about 3" wide, making sure it was long enough to wrap around my box.  To add a little character to the wrapping paper I tore the edges instead of having a straight cut edge.  A really great way to have a "controlled tear" along the edge is to lay a ruler down about 1/4" away from the cut edge of your paper strip, then tear the paper while holding the ruler down, the paper will tear along the ruler in a nice straight line without getting too jagged and out of control.  

I then wrapped the strip of wrapping paper around my simple box and taped it at the bottom.  Then I wrapped a piece of twine around the package and tied it with a bow.

Box #2:

I like this one a lot!  Using the same brown paper package as in the first look, I added color and flair by making a napkin flower and tying it on with some colored twine I had in my craft stash.  To make the napkin flower I used Dana's tutorial, found here.  Dana from Made put together a great, straight-forward tutorial.  Man, has that girl got amazing style! 

Box #3:

This look is perhaps a little on the quirky side, but it's definitely my favorite of the three.  Using a 1/4" wooden dowel, I dipped the end in dark purple craft paint and used it to dot little circles in groups of three all over my wrapped box.  If I were to do this again, I'd definitely paint before wrapping, then I wouldn't have to worry about my dots running!  After the paint dried I grabbed a sweet yellow crocheted doily, folded the top corner in so it would fit my box better and tied it on with...you guessed it...some yellow twine I had laying around.  

So there you have it!  Three quick and simple ideas to spruce up some plain craft paper and make your gift stand out from the rest.  Plus, it's always nice to put an extra little thought and care into a gift for someone you love, even if it's just a blender, toaster, or a gift card inside the box.  

Be blessed,

10 comments:

Shelbey said...

I love box #2, but they're all pretty. What a simple way to make a gift more unique!

Susan @ Second Chances by Susan said...

Great looks! I love using brown craft paper myself!

Charity said...

I like the first box the best, but they are all cute ideas. The last time I was out of wrapping paper, I made a t-shirt bag with a drawstring and stuffed the presents in it. ;) Also, I'm a new follower and I was wondering how you get the buttons on your sidebar? I made a page for the link parties I link to, but prefer the sidebar idea. Thanks. http://scrappybaglady.blogspot.com/

Martha (MM) said...

Love it - that paper can be used in so many different ways. It's my top choice for most occasions :-)

Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

looks like you and i had the same idea the other day! i did the same thing for a gift for my mom!

Marilyn said...

Jen old friend (miss ya) -- this is so wierd - I JUST googled fun gift wrap ideas for a gift I had to wrap and BLAM - you have this post up! How awesome.. I love it.. So unique.. : ) ) I'll share what I come up with w/ ya :))

Marilyn said...

Love this Jen.. (Miss ya old friend).. I left a sweet comment that I think was deleted via google revamp.. :)) This gave me a great idea.. Excellent post.. :))

Jen said...

Hey Marilyn, I did see your first comment, and I did see that it disappeared! I'm glad you got a great idea, I'd love to see it! I've missed you around the blog world lately, watcha been up to?

Marilyn said...

Hi Jen, ooh ok - awesome :)) I'll post some pics soon of what I ended up doing :)) I've been so busy lately, work, (& I've had to do 3weddings and the shower's are all around the corner - i just finished one and have been working on thigns for the others) between that and S I A lol, I have not a second to myself and when I do the last thing I wanna do is anything BUT SLEEP!) I hope to pick up artsy crafty goodies soon. I have PILES of to do for my blog that I can't wait to find time to complete..Loving living through your fun here for now though.. :))

Lisa said...

I love box number 2!!