May 2, 2011

Welcome Sign

So, here's something exciting,  my parents' clock broke!
What, you're not excited when someone else's timepiece ceases to function?  When another clock bites the dust?  Pfft.  You don't know what you're missing.  

Check this out, I took this no-tick-tock-clock and turned it into a fun welcome sign for our front entrance:


This was a really simple and fun project to complete, I love repurposing everyday items!

I started by taking the clock apart and removing the time keeping mechanism.


 I ripped the little box for the batteries and clock gears off with my bare hands, because I'm ripped like that.


Once I recovered from my wild display of brute strength, I painted a two-ish inch border around the inside edge of the clock.


I created the collage of welcoming words and statements on Picnik.com and printed it out right here at home.

Click here to download and print your own welcome words collage.

Using an inverted mixing bowl, I traced and cut a circle on some pretty and bright scrapbooking paper.  I adhered it to the front of my clock face using mod podge.  Using a smaller mixing bowl I traced around my welcome sign paper, then I cut it out and glued it on top of the scrapbooking paper.


I set the clock face aside to dry, then put the clock back together.

And, voila!  A unique and cheerful welcome sign for our front entrance.


The only concern that Zach has is, what if someone stops by that we don't really want to stay?  He thought I should maybe make it reversible so we can quickly flip it over and have it say "We're busy, go away."  What do you think?  

13 comments:

Erin Shakespear said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. :)

I love this redo! Fun idea!

Marilyn said...

LOVE LOOOOVE this Jen.. How splendid and amazing..

Jen said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love this clock! What a great idea. My husband would really go for the "We're busy, go away" on the flip side! Come by and link this up to Fantastic Friday!

Christine said...

Great idea! love this. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I am your newest follower!

Hannah McConnell said...

What a marvelous idea!
Thank you so much for visiting me today Jen!!! I'm now your newest follower! I think your blog is divine!
www.daughterbydesign.blogspot.com

The "Boutique" Girls said...

Hey Jen, Thanks for visiting our blog. We a your newest followers! We hope you try our Table Top Terrarium:)

Cherie said...

A very cute idea!

Anna said...

What a great idea! I actually have a broken clock right now so maybe I'll try to do something like this but on a smaller scale (the clock is pretty small).

Anna
www.askannamoseley.com

Brandy J. said...

I just found your blog and am your newest follower. Thanks for creating such a fab blog full of inspiration. I love this amazing wall hanging!

Jenn said...

What a great idea. Thanks for the downloadable words!

blesid said...

That clock never knew what hit it! I bet it is loving it's new life welcoming people in! I never would have thought to do that! Great job!!! jules

Lolly Jane said...

Great transformation! We would ♥ for you to show this off at our link party ;)

Lolly Jane
lollyjaneboutique.blogspot.com

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

This is lovely!! What a great idea!

In the Hammock Vintage