Jun 22, 2011

The Beer Bucket Redo (Painting a Galvanized Steel Bucket)

I stole this charming beer bucket from Zach's work van.  He got it last week when he was doing some work for a local business and had his hands full on the way out of their store.  The manager gave him this to carry a bunch of 
computer parts in.  


I love a good galvanized steel bucket, but did not love the gigantic beer logo...I know, picky, picky, right?  I figured I'd try to spray paint the thing and see how it worked.  

First I removed the handle, scuffed it up lightly with a fine grit sand paper, then went to town with my pistachio green spray paint.

One coat...

two coats...


three coats...

I did one more coat of paint yet, just for good measure, and then I forgot to take a picture of it, oh well, I'm sure you get the idea.

All I can say is, thank goodness for spray paint, that sure made painting my new bucket a whole lot quicker, and more fun too!

In case you're wondering, I used Krylon Indoor/Outdoor spray paint in Satin Pistachio. 
After my lovely bucket was all painted up it was a little blah, you know?  So I decided to play around with some stencils I bought at Walmart the other day.


I bought a pack of Plaid reusable stencils, and they were beyond simple to use.

Just peel,


Place where desired, sparingly dab paint over stencil,


 Then while the paint is still wet, peel the stencil off.


Then just wash the stencil off in warm, soapy water, replace it on the clear plastic film it came on and store it to use another day.  You can reuse each stencil up to 20 times before the stickiness wears off.  Pretty impressive, no?

I had so much fun playing with these stencils, I'm already looking for an excuse to whip them out again.

And finally, here is the wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, finished product:


Ta-da!

What do you think?  I'm really liking the cool, creamy shade of the pistachio spray paint.  What would you use this bucket for?

Thanks for coming by, I appreciate your visit!

Be blessed,

8 comments:

Lesley said...

So pretty! I really adore your color choice. Try to remember to link it up to my Thursday party and show it off!

Wendys Hat said...

Thanks {from your newest follower} for the kind comments you left about my pinwheels! I love this bucket!

Amanda-The Sweet Details said...

i was wondering at first why you would buy a beer can but i see now! i would put that in the garden full of succulent plants! it's cute, it turned out really well! well done jen!

Jen said...

Amanda - Ha! Didn't you hear that beer buckets are tres chic now?

Lesley - I'll try to remember!

laxsupermom said...

Love this makeover! The color you chose is so fresh and pretty! I just love what a little paint can do. I've never seen those peel & stick stencils before. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for sharing.

I'm hosting my monthly Before Blogging Throwback Thursdays party, and would love for you to take a pic of something you made/did/bought before blogging and share it at my party. Can't wait to see what you bring.

Jen said...

What a great idea! I will take a picture and post my before blogging throwback a.s.a.p, I know just what I'll post!

Kelsey @ Tattered and Inked said...

Way cute! Looks 100 times better than the beer version :)

Sam Findlay said...

From blah bucket to fab bucket! It looks really cute, well done!