Jun 16, 2011

Planter Love

Remember these birdhouses?

I used them earlier in spring for this centerpiece.


I've since relocated the centerpiece to my piano, where it's sat to be enjoyed by all...and now it's time to move on.

Outside the flowers are blooming, the summer sun is warming our faces and my freckles are starting to merge together to make it look like I actually have a tan.

I recently planted some daisies from my friend's garden into a lovely wooden barrel planter in my front yard.  The daisies haven't quite filled in the planter just yet, I'd imagine by next year it will look much fuller.  In the mean time, I decided to add a little birdhouse love to my not-quite-full planter, you know, to give it a little oomph while I wait for those daisies to really kick it up a notch.
Wanna see?


I marked the center on the bottom of each birdhouse.  I asked Zach to drill the holes while I took the pictures.  He used a 3/8th's inch drill bit to make the holes.

I initially was planning on using wooden dowels as the bird house stands, but the dowels I had on hand just weren't long enough.  So I took a little walk around the backyard and trimmed a few fairly straight, long branches off an unsuspecting tree.

I then slipped the birdhouses onto the branches, stuck them into the dirt in my planter, and voila,
Some charming planter love!



So that's it from me for today.  Simple?  Yes.  Just what my little planter needed?  You betcha!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Be blessed,


I'm linking up!

Friday Flair @ Whipperberry
Sundae Scoop Weekend Wrap Up @ I Heart Naptime
Lolly Jane
Made with Love Monday @ Sew Chatty


7 comments:

Brandi said...

such a cute idea. love your daises. are they planted in full sun or shade? mine didn't do so well this year. have any birds taken residence inside any of the houses?

Wendys Hat said...

They look great!

Jen said...

Brandi- Thanks! The daisies are planted in partial shade, and they've done pretty well for me this year. After I transplanted them I needed to water them like crazy for a couple of days, and then they suddenly popped up and started blossoming! I only put the birdhouses in yesterday, so no birds yet. I doubt any birds would move in though, the houses are pretty tiny.

Mandy @ This Girl's Life said...

Such a cute idea - they look great! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

A Cup of Sparkle said...

Very cute! I loved your bird houses. I hope you will have some visitors in them :)
acupofsparkle.blogspot.com

liZ evans said...

The bird houses look darling in your planter. Plus they are really cute colors.

Marilyn said...

Absolutely enjoyed this post Jen.. So lovely.. ;)))