Jul 1, 2011

Simple Birthday Bunting

First off, Happy Canada Day!!!  I hope you all get to enjoy a giant dish of poutine served with a side of maple syrup drenched Canadian bacon.  Yum.  We'll be celebrating by heading downtown for the fun Canada Day carnival, I'm sure the kids will love it.

Yup, I'm jumping on the bunting bandwagon.  It's all over blogland, and I'm going to share my five-minute version today.  

There are many variations of bunting to see, from fabric to felt, paper doilies to cute little mini buntings to decorate cards and top cakes, it seems there is a bunting for every occasion.  I decided to go super quick and super simple with some scrapbook paper bunting.

I started by measuring, marking and cutting out the paper for my bunting.

Using a 12x12" scrapbook paper, I drew a line right down the middle at the 6" mark.


Then, marking at four and eight inches, divided that line into three equal four inch sections.


On the outside edges of the paper, perpendicular to my center line, I made marks at the 2, 6, and 10 inch lines.


Finally, draw a line from the 2 inch mark to the 4 inch center mark, and back down to the 6 inch mark forming a triangle.  Continue until all your marks have been connected.  This gives the maximum number of pennants per page of paper for my bunting.


Cut along the measured lines, and discard the half pennants that fall on the outer edges of your paper.


Once all my triangles were cut out, I grabbed a package of single fold bias tape.  You could just as easily use double fold bias tape and have the upper edge of your triangle stitched into the fold of the tape, but I chose to  keep it simple with the single fold.


Sewing on paper is so much fun!

Be sure to leave about 4 or 5 inches of the bias tape empty so you have room to hang it up however you like. Then, using a straight stitch and some coordinating or contrasting thread in your sewing machine, just stitch the paper triangles onto the bias tape in whatever pattern you choose.  I went with a three yellow one red pattern and I'm very pleased with how it turned out.




 I'll be back Monday with a tantalizing cheesecake recipe,
 I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and enjoy some sunshine!

Be blessed,








3 comments:

rebecca said...

how cute! love how you layed everything out on your paper to get the most out of it! awesome...totally doing it like that next time I attempt a bunting. :)

Marilyn said...

Love this Jen.. Very creative.. I love the colors you chose too ;)) Very adorable ;))

Jen said...

Thanks Ladies, I've got my bunting hanging in our sun room for a little birthday party later this afternoon, and it looks great!