Jul 24, 2011

Simple Girl's Summer Top

I'm baaack!  Phew!  After a much needed break I am back and ready to get down to business!

I had this breezy summer top in my closet that just wasn't getting worn.  I liked it, I really did, but as soon as I moved it started riding up, and I was constantly tugging at it.  So not cool.  
Can you guess what I was thinking?  Refashion!

Goodbye unworn blouse, hello cute summery top for Addie!


I started by turning my shirt upside down and cutting the length I'd need to fit Addie.  



I then turned it inside out, used one of her tank tops as a guide line to show me about how wide it needed to be, and pinned where the seam would be.  


I sewed the seam and cut the excess.  


I sewed first then cut to keep the smocking from letting go.  I wasn't sure if it would start to unravel, so I played it safe and stitched first.

To make the straps I cut two long pieces of fabric left over from the blouse, about 3 inches wide.  I folded each piece in half, right sides together, and sewed along the long edge, creating a fabric tube.


 Using a craft dowel I turned each of the fabric tubes right side out and ironed them flat.


  Then I folded and ironed them again, and stitched along the open edge.  I did this to give the straps a little extra structure, and because I thought they were looking a little too thick for what I had in mind.


By now Miss Addie was up from her nap and playing in the sandbox, so I called her in to try it on and see where the straps needed to be placed. 


 I trimmed them to the correct length and sewed them in place.

Hem it up and you're done like dinner!


And, I had enough of the fabric with smocking left over to make a little matching dress for Addie's baby doll.  She loved it!




Thanks for coming by, I'm sure glad you did!

Be blessed,


6 comments:

Rach H said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for adding my button! Its always fun when people do that. Your shirt is great. That looks like tough fabric to handle. Great job! Thanks for linking up at Once Upon a Weekend, and have a great weekend!

Ashley J said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and checkin it out!! You are so sweet! Cute blog!!! :) Cute shirt refashion! Great job!!!
xoxo,
Ashley J @ mommybydaycrafterbynight.blogspot.com

Jen said...

Rach, the fabric was a breeze to work with! It was just a plain old 100% cotton blouse, simple simon! Thanks for stopping by!

Ashley, thanks so much for popping by!

h. rae said...

Oh, she looks so sweet in that and looks like she really loves it. Probably because Mommy made it and one for Dolly too. How precious! You're so good, Jen! I'm glad you got a break and are back with us!

Happy Tuesday!

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts said...

Very cute! Love the name of your blog...I can't stop crafting either. :) Following from I Heart Naptime link party. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog {if you haven‘t already!}. Hope to see you there.

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

Amanda @ The Little Giggler said...

Super cute! You did an awesome job!