Aug 3, 2011

Oven Baked Potato Frittata

Did you know that I really, really enjoy sharing recipes here on my blog?  I try not to do too many, since this isn't primarily a food blog, but one every once in awhile isn't bad, right?  Besides, this post isn't so much a recipe as it is a method.  Enjoy!

Frittata's are simple, delicious, versatile, and oh so handy for cleaning out the fridge.  Nearly every ingredient can be swapped out for pretty much anything you may have on hand.  In fact, I made this baked potato frittata for dinner this evening simply because I had a little bit of pretty much anything in my fridge.  The colors are bright and lovely, the flavor is savory and satisfying, a frittata is perfect for a hearty breakfast or a bit of a lighter supper.


There are five main things you'll need to make my version of a potato frittata.  They are:

1. Frozen Hashbrowns
2. Eggs
3. Cheese
4. Fresh Vegetables
5. Salt and Pepper

Of course, you can add in all kinds of tasty extras like bacon, sausage, or any other kind of leftover meat you may have kicking around in your fridge.  I also like to add a splash of milk to my egg mixture, but it's not vital to the fantastic-ness of the frittata.

Start by heating up a frying pan, if you've got bacon to fry off, now is the time.  If there's no bacon going into the mix, then add a couple of tablespoons of butter and let it melt and get nice and bubbly.  Toss in about 3 cups of the frozen hashbrowns, season them well.  Stir occasionally.

While the hashbrowns are doing their thing, grab a cutting board and sharp knife and get to work chopping up any of the vegetables you'd like to add to your fritatta.  For the fritatta pictured here I used 1/4 of an onion, 1/4 of a red and green pepper and a few florets of broccoli.  Shred about a cup of whatever cheese you've got on hand.  Set a half a cup of the cheese aside for garnishing and put the rest of the cheese and all your diced veggies  in a bowl and set them aside for a moment.
 
Crack 3-4 eggs in a bowl, add a couple of tablespoons of milk and a generous dash of salt and pepper.  Whisk it all up till it's smooth and bubbly.  Add your bowl of vegetables to the egg mixture and stir to combine.  If you've got bacon or any other kind of meat that you'd like in your fritatta, add it to the egg and veggie bowl as well.

By now your hashbrowns should be tender and starting to get a little brown.  Add about 3/4 of the hashbrowns to a 9x9 glass baking dish, spread them evenly across the bottom.  Pour your egg and veggie mixture over the hashbrown base.  Sprinkle the previously set aside hashbrowns and cheese over the egg mixture.  Pop your dish in the oven, set at 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, until the eggs are set.


And with that, you've got my oven baked potato frittata.  I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do!

Be blessed,

4 comments:

Carole Hiebert said...

Why didn't I know that you had a blog, Jen?!?!? Crazy!! Love it! Looking forward to seeing what you're up to!!

h. rae said...

That.sounds.so.good. Honestly. But I can't have cheese. And it's probably no good without the cheese. Sigh.

Thanks for entering the giveaway, Jen! You're a sweetie! If you know of anyone else who might be interested here's the link: http://anoriginalbelle.blogspot.com/2011/08/blog-design-giveaway.html

A very happy Wednesday to you, friend!

Jen said...

h.rae, I wouldn't let the no cheese thing stop you. The cheese is definitely a tasty addition, but I've made it without before and it's still scrumptious.

Carole, I'm glad you stopped by. I've been a little bit shy about my blog at times, but I'm sure glad you found me now!

Crystal said...

This looks great! My hubby and I are big frittata fans! Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my place too!