Sep 26, 2011

An Autumn Welcome Wreath

Fall is in full swing here.  Leaves are changing to their deep autumn hues, the air is turning crisp and you can see your breath fogging in the early morning.  It's lovely.

This past weekend we went to visit my husbands family for an afternoon.  They live out in a gorgeous valley, the view off their back deck is absolutely picturesque.

While walking around their property, taking the kids to go see the horses and kittens, I noticed this old wooden window frame with a rusty old screen inside.


I asked my mother-in-law where the frame was from, and she explained it was just something she'd found and thought it might fit one of their outbuilding windows.  When she's brought it back home, it didn't fit anywhere, so she'd set it aside to toss out.  Well, being the crafter I am, I asked if I might bring the frame home for a little project I had in mind, and Mom obliged.

Once home, I dug out a bunch of silk flowers, leaves, dried corn, some craft wire, and a little welcome sign I bought on major clearance at the end of last year.


I didn't want to permanently attach any of my fall decorations to the frame, so I simply fed the stem of the flowers and leaves through the wire screen inside the window frame.


To get the flowers to stay put, I occasionally secured them to the wire screen using a little craft wire.  I didn't secure each flower stem individually, but rather I wrapped them up in groups.  That was it will be easier to take them all off when I want to do something different...plus, I was almost out of craft wire.

Here's a shot of the back to show how I secured the decorations:


No, it's nothing glamorous, but it got the job done, and no one is going to see it from that side anyway.

Oh, did you want to see the finished product?  Sure!




What do you think?  Will it do the trick?  I'm thinking I'll pop it up on the shelf above my stairway, just inside the front entrance.  It's sure to add a nice pop of color.

Thanks for stopping in today,

Be blessed,

I'm Linking Up!

More The Merrier Mondays - The DIY Home Sweet Home Project

15 comments:

Teresa said...

Extremely cute and crafty! Love it.

Carole Hiebert said...

Jen - that is gorgeous!!! Just love the colors!!

How to Nest for Less said...

LOVE THIS!! What a great idea. And love how you can switch it out for each season. Great job!!

Karen said...

Looks great, Jen! I have a perfect spot for it here at my house...just saying.

KristaDee said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!! It's perfect!
I have lots of spots where I could use something like that. :) Sending this one to my sis - she loves things like this too.

Renee said...

Looks fantastic Jen! What a lovely way to welcome in the fall season!

h. rae said...

It's darling, Jen! Very creative, my crafty friend! We just hung our fall wreath up yesterday, but it's funny: our summers are cool and our autumns warm... it's warm out now. :)

Christina said...

CUTE!

Hollie - TheSevenYearCottage said...

Love it... so welcoming!

Briana Richardson said...

So cute! I'm a new follower!
Briana @ babblingsandmore.blogspot.com

Geneva said...

Your Autumn wreath is so cute and I loved that you saved the integrity of the screen... you'll be able to use it for something else now. Great Job! ... and Happy Autumn!

odetoinspiration said...

So very creative and unique idea!! I love it!! Great job!!

odetoinspiration said...

So very creative and unique idea!! I love it!! Great job!!

Spittin-Toad said...

Nicely Done!

Jen said...

Thank you all so much! A simple moment of inspiration can turn into one of my most favorite projects ever! Thanks for stopping in!