Oct 19, 2011

Jet Pack Racer Costume

How can it be October 20th?  Really, how has this happened?  The end of the month is fast approaching and I am slowly getting costumes done for these kids of mine.  Thankfully, Boden's costume took only a few minutes here and there throughout my day, and it's pretty much done.  Phew!

Ever since I saw this awesome idea (originally from Been There, Pinned That)on Pinterest, I knew I had to make one of these coke bottle jet packs for Boden.  They're so simple, quick to put together, and so much fun to play with...er, I mean, for kids to play with.

"Moosie" from Been There, Pinned That has a pretty straight forward tutorial, and my fancy little jet pack was completed in no time!  I did do a couple of little things differently from her tutorial.  

#1. I used ginger ale bottles...because I had one empty ginger ale one on hand already and then we'd only have to drink one other bottle of pop instead of two to get the cool coke bottles.

#2. I didn't prime my pop bottles first.  I did a trial run on one of the bottles, removing the label then very lightly spraying the bottle with regular Krylon spraypaint...not even the fancy stuff made for plastic.  
#3. I didn't use crepe paper, I used tissue paper that I cut into strips.  I also didn't glue my flames around the bottle caps, I used a sharp knife to punch a hole through the bottle cap, then twisted the top end of my flames together, secured it with a twist tie, and fed that part through the hole in the bottle caps.  It's plenty snug and easy to replace should the flames get torn up.

I used Krylon's metallic all purpose spraypaint in Brilliant Silver.  I applied four super light coats of the paint.  Be sure to remove the bottle cap while you're spraying the bottle, I don't know why, but while I was spraying the bottle with the lid still on, it started to buckle.  When I removed the lid the bottle returned to it's regular shape.  Weird.

And from there on out I followed Moosie's tutorial.  I added the black strap around the jet pack purely for decoration and to make it look...jet pack-y.  Ready to see my finished product?  

Bo was t-h-r-i-l-l-e-d!


And when I asked him how fast his jet pack could make him go, he had absolutely no problem showing me!

 Going...
 Going...
 Going...
Gone!

And he was back again in a flash of light.



The great thing about using this jet pack for Bo's halloween costume is that it's easy to get on and off, it's not too bulky, he can wear warm clothing under it, and it's so him!

So what are you making for halloween costumes this year?  I don't think I'm even going to make one for Judson...I've got a costume his size from when Bo was a little guy.  I guess that means I'm done!  Hooray!  

I hope you're having a wonderful week!

Be blessed,

I'm linking up!

9 comments:

Carole Hiebert said...

That is SO awesome Jen!! Love it!

Mandi@MandiBeingCrafty said...

This is really cool!

deana said...

Thanks for posting this! This is exactly what we need to make yet for L's costume. You probably saved me a lot of time!!
Deana

Katherines Corner said...

Love, love, did I say love? this!!

Vicky said...

Oh my gosh! So cute! This is like a boys dream come true. You are certainly the cool mom. :-) I am a new follower from the Crazy Cute Link Party. Vicky from www.messforless.net

Courtney McAulay said...

He is so adorable! And so is this cleverly crafty costume! Thanks for sharing it at the Crazy Cute party!

www.betweenuandme.com

Grace InAZ said...

What a cute costume for a real cutie! I am catching up with my blog hopping & following you from Katherine's Corner. Pls follow back. Growing Old With Grace http://growing-old-with-grace.blogspot.com/.
Thanks for linking up on the blog hop today. Hugs, GraceinAZ

Marilyn said...

Super cuuute Jen..
I wanted to know if you would like to join in on my project..? Project PINK.. Painting the blog world PINK for a day.. Breast Cancer Awareness on Oct 3oth..!! Over 4o blogs so far are in.. Please check it out - it'll mean SO MUCH to me.. Wishing you a lovely weekend..http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/10/paint-your-blog-pink-awareness-faith.html

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

That is sooo cute! And you found the perfect model!