Oct 27, 2011

Make Your Own Household Cleaners

Sometimes when I sit down to write a blog post I draw a big, fat, blank.  I know what I'm going to write about, I just don't know how to start.  Today is one of those days.  Oh well, I suppose the best thing would be to just get to it! 

One thing I really dislike spending money on is cleaners.  They're expensive, they're potent, and they are not child friendly.  With three little ones of my own here at home, child friendly is pretty important to me!  And, chances are you've got everything you need in your kitchen cupboards to mix up a recipe of household cleaner in just a couple of minutes.  

Here are a few recipes for cleaners I've tried and loved using in my home:

All Purpose Cleaner:
(I use this for scrubbing down my bathroom, my kitchen sink and counters, wiping down appliances, and really any general mess that I come upon in my home.  I got the recipe here.)

1 teaspoon liquid dish soap
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 cups water


Mix the liquid dish soap, baking soda and water in a clean plastic spray bottle, then add the vinegar so you don't get a massive fizzy science experiment going on.

Glass Cleaner:
(I've been using this recipe for all my windows and mirrors for a couple of years now.  I got the recipe from my wonderful friend Rachel.)
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon liquid dish soap
2 cups water


Mix all the ingredients in a clean plastic spray bottle.  When using, lightly spray the mirror/window, wipe it down with a clean dry rag, then with another clean, dry rag, dry the window.  It take a little elbow grease sometimes, but the finished product is great, and it's a safe glass cleaner to keep in your home.

I'm still looking for a great toilet cleaner recipe...but haven't found anything that I really like to use.  If I find "the one" I'll be sure to share!  The only thing that I didn't love about these recipes right off the bat is that even after all my scrubbing and cleaning, things didn't smell fresh and clean like they do when you use store bought cleaners.  That's simply because there are no perfumes in any of the above recipes.  If you just can't get past the lack of "Mountain Top Fresh" scented cleaners, you can always add a couple of drops of any scented essential oils that you can find in most health food stores.


Have a wonderful weekend!

Be blessed,





3 comments:

Michelle@Crazy In Iowa said...

Jen - thanks so much for your nice comment on my blog! I was excited to see your post on homemade cleaners today, I've been wanting to do that for a long time! Great info! ~Michelle@CrazyInIowa

Between U & Me said...

Hi! This is very cool! I love it! Thanks for sharing this at the Crazy Cute party @ Between U & Me! Don't forget to come back and enter for a chance to win the giveaway! :D

www.betweenuandme.com

Tatum @ Many Moments Of Me said...

Interesting! I was just thinking the other day that I'd like to try some homemade cleaners. I will certainly try these out!

Thanks for the ideas.