Nov 22, 2011

All I Want For Christmas...Family Wish List

I'd like to start today's post with a quick shout out to my lovely bloggy friend, H. Rae, over at An Original Belle.  She's the sweet gal who whipped up this beautiful blog design.  This week she's got her very first link party going on, Make-It-Yourself Monday, and I'm sure she'd be thrilled if you all paid her a visit and shared a Thanksgiving themed link or two! 

Last November I was busily piecing together an advent calendar for my family.  The kids just loved taking turns hanging the tiny felt ornaments on the fabric tree that was hung on our wall.  As I'm preparing for the upcoming Christmas season, I've been thinking about how I'd really like to celebrate as a family, all month long.  I don't want Christmas to be only about what happens on Christmas eve or Christmas morning.  I've decided that in addition to our advent countdown, we'll also be doing a family activity countdown.  When I told my husband about my idea, he thought it was a brilliant way for us to celebrate, and to teach our kids what Christmas is really about.


And of course, why just write a list on a piece of scrap paper when I could make it fun and spruce it up a bit?  I got my hands on an old, unused clip board, and decided it would be the perfect way to display our Family Wish List for the month of December.

With the help of a little mod podge and some scrapbook paper and other odds and ends, I turned the drab clipboard into a fabulous little spot to exhibit our advent list of family to-do's.  The plan is to complete one Christmas-y to-do each day of December, leading up to Christmas day.


Here's our family list, if you need a few ideas.

o   1. Decorate the Christmas tree
o   2. Go ice skating
o   3. Bring canned goods to the food cupboard
o   4. Hang a Christmas wreath
o   5. Bring an appreciation gift to the church staff
o   6. Paint the snow
o   7. Cut out paper snowflakes
o   8. Boden's Christmas concert
o   9. Make a snowman shaped pizza
o   10. Make thank-you gifts for our teachers
o   11. Family game night
o   12. Make a gingerbread house
o   13. Send out Christmas cards
o   14. Wrap Christmas gifts
o   15. Bake cookies for the neighbors
o   16. Family movie night
o   17. Make popcorn on the stove top
o   18. Throw a Christmas party
o   19. Make a hand print Christmas ornament
o   20. Have a carpet picnic for supper
o   21.Make a snowman
o   22. Put the presents under the tree
o   23. Read the story of Jesus' birth
o   24. Sunday School Christmas concert


Of course, the options are endless, and easily personalized according to your family.  And, we may have to switch a few days around...depending the weather and such.  It's also a good idea to plan certain activities around the weekends, like our family movie night, or the plan for a Christmas party.  I'm really excited about posting our list and counting down as a family while doing fun, memory making activities together.  December is going to be great.

What are some of your families favorite Christmastime activites?

Be blessed,

I'll be linking up to a few of these fine link parties:

6 comments:

h. rae said...

This is so cute! What a fabulous idea! Thanks so much for the shout-out and for linking up with me!

Carole Hiebert said...

Love it Jen! We do this sort of idea in our advent calendar....each day has a treat and an activity....I'll have to add some of your activity ideas!! Awesome! Your clip board is over the top cute!!!!

Jen said...

Thanks Carole! I think this will be a December to remember with the list of family fun we've got planned!

marissa said...

this turned out great I'd love it if you would add this to my party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

Tricia said...

I SO love this idea!! I'm going to do something like this too!!! Thanks!

Amy said...

LOVE this! What a great way to focus on family time and the meaning of the season. Would you share here, pleeease?

http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/shine-on-fridays-3-and-some-fabulous.html